Friday, July 3, 2009

life's not a paragraph


This is the view from my bedroom at dusk...
Last night, Heather read a bunch of poems by e.e. cummings as we sketched on the wall overlooking the valley. Thought I'd share my favorite.

since feeling is first
who pays any attention
to the syntax of things
will never wholly kiss you;

wholly to be a fool
while Spring is in the world

my blood approves,
and kisses are a better fate
than wisdom
lady i swear by all the flowers. Don't cry
- the best gesture of my brain is less than
your eyelid's flutter which says

we are for each other: then
laugh, leaning back in my arms
for life's not a paragraph

and death i think is no parenthesis

e.e. cummings

2 comments:

  1. the picture of you in my mind, sketching,poetry, among friends, in this beauty is so wonderful and full of peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. he gives me the best advice i ever receive:

    To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight;
    and never stop fighting.
    e. e. cummings

    ReplyDelete